The alkaline diet suggests that nutrients from supplements, alkalizing foods, and water can improve overall health and return the body to balance by impacting on the acidity or alkalinity of our blood. These vitamins, minerals, and herbs infuse the body with new energy, vitality, and better health. The way to achieve this is by replacing acid-forming foods with alkaline foods.
Acid Ash Hypothesis
This idea is based on the acid–ash hypothesis which is a medical hypothesis that makes a case that highly acidic diets may cause some identifiable negative health effects. This hypothesis has been used to support the idea behind the Alkaline diet.
Alkaline foods and water must be consumed to provide the body with the nutrients it needs to neutralize acids and toxins and reduce the chance of things like cancer. A diet rich in plant based foods such as certain whole grains (such as Amaranth, millet and quinoa), fruits and vegetables is the way to achieve this. It is thought that not all grains are naturally alkaline forming. For example,
High Acidic Load Leads To Health Problems
When the human body has a pH balance that is out of balance, it has a high dietary acid load. The body tries to correct the problem, which can lead to colds, flus, allergies, diseases, and infections. The alkaline diet may help with these issues by reducing the acid load.
Effect Of pH Levels Being Unbalanced
When the pH level in our body is unbalanced, just about any body system can be affected. For example, when the nervous system is imbalanced as the result of an unbalanced pH level, it shows up in depression. When the cardiovascular system and blood pH is affected, we could experience heart disease, thickening and hardening of the arteries, coronary heart disease, pain or discomfort in the chest, stroke, high blood pressure, or heart failure. When muscles are effected we often feel soreness and fatigue. When skin is affected by an improper pH balance we age quicker than normal.
When the body is balanced with the correct pH, it reaches ideal weight and corrects negative health issues naturally. So the alkaline diet is ideal for weight loss.
Long Term Shift In Attitude About Food Needed
A long term shift in attitude about food is needed before you can make a meaningful transition to a healthier diet. The point to remember is that small steps go a long way. Start adding more alkaline foods to your diet gradually.
Ways To Benefit From An Alkaline Diet
Some surefire ways to benefit from an alkaline diet include:
- Reduce consumption of sugar and products made of sugar, including soft drinks, pies, ice cream, jello, jams & jellies, artificial juices, puddings, pastry, corn syrups, chewing gum, sweetened juices, cookies, breakfasts cereals, liquors, mixed drinks.
- Avoid processed foods and condiments including ketchup, salad dressing, pickles, luncheon meat, canned fruits, bread, relish, cheese dip, peanut butter, prepared seafood, frozen vegetables, crackers, canned soup, hot dogs, sausage, sweetened yogurt.
- Microwaves should not be used for cooking and heating.
- You should avoid dairy, meats, fried foods, and fast foods.
- Eat raw fruits and vegetables without any added sugar. Raw vegetables should be included in every meal. If your breakfast is so small that you eat only toast or cereal, replace the toast with fruits or vegetable juices. If you usually have sandwiches for lunch, try substituting raw salad or vegetable juice. Have a large salad as a prelude to eating a heavy entree at dinner. Do this, so you will be sure to eat all of the salad instead of finding yourself too full to finish it.
- Certain grains form the foundation of a balanced diet and are integral in maintaining the alkaline balance in the body. Grains are a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, carbohydrates, antioxidants, and phytoestrogens, including folic acid. Research has shown that whole-grain consumption reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and certain cancers. Grains can enable you to feel full while eating less. Grains should make up about 20% of your diet. In the alkaline diet, some grains are better than others. Some such as amaranth, millet, lentils, wild rice, and quinoa are considered mildly alkaline, while others such as barley, spelt, oats, and brown rice are considered mildly acidic so should be consumed in moderation. Finally, wheat (both whole and white), white rice, rye, corn, and buckwheat are considered highly acidic so should be avoided.
- Don’t forget to hydrate. Drink half of your body weight in ounces of water of good quality each day. Consider adding liquid trace minerals to your water to increase its quality.
If you follow these easy steps it will allow you to create the proper alkaline balance within your body.
What You Can Eat On The Alkaline Diet
In this regard, think plant-based foods as these are the alkaline forming foods . If you are following an alkaline diet, you should focus on fruits, vegetables, soybeans, tofu, some nuts, seeds, certain grains and legumes as they are alkaline-promoting foods that will reduce the acid load on the body.
What Should You Avoid On The Alkaline Diet
Most grains, meat, dairy, eggs, and processed foods fall on the acidic side and are not allowed since these foods are thought to create an acidic environment in our bodies. Most advice also recommends that you should avoid alcohol and caffeine on the alkaline diet.
Creating The Right Alkaline Balance In The Body
Creating the right alkaline balance through the food you put in your body will bring about improved quality of life and help you maintain a healthy body. You will begin to see immediate improvements in your health. Your energy level will increase, your concentration will be stronger. You’ll develop strength, stamina, and resistance to diseases. Your whole body will function more effectively the way it’s supposed to.